History of Streatham Cemetery
Restoring the Anglican Chapel for Community Use
Under the Metropolitan Burial Act of 1852, in response to the second cholera epidemic of 1848-49, the Streatham Burial Board acquired the land in what was then countryside. With two lodges and two mirror image chapels built in the Gothic style by William Newton-Dunn, the Cemetery opened for burials in 1894.
- - - - -
The Friends are working with Lambeth Council to repair and re-roof the derelict chapel and develop it as a community resource and a hub for local activities. What kind of activities? Get involved and help us plan.